Drop

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Wed, 09 Jun 2004 16:04:14 -0600

--On Thursday, June 3, 2004 9:49 PM -0500 Mark Cramer <Cramer@BrandonU.CA>
wrote:

> Sorry for being vague Fred;
>
> My trial after-touch settings begin with a blow distance of 44mm, (let-off
> of 2mm) and a key-dip of 10mm, at the key-front, as verified by testing
> with 300g atop the dip-block.
>
> Next, I slip an .045" punching over the front-rail pin and (as you've
> described) press the key slowly down to contact the punching. If the note
> escapes before I reach the punching (hopefully), I will increase blow
> distance, or vice-versa.
>
> Once I can bring the key gently to rest atop the punching, w/o escapement,
> but a gentle squeeze would trip the jack, I place the 300g weight atop the
> key and lower the key gently to contact.
>
> At this point the hammer should be about 2mm from the string, and the
> jack; a hair away from escapement, the weight is holding everything at the
> point-of-escapement.
>
> If I don't sneeze, it should sit there all day, however a gentle tap on
> the weight, or a wrap of my hand on the stretcher should be just enough
> vibration to trip the jack and send the note through escapement.
<snip>

Thanks, Mark, that is very clear. Very similar to my approach, except I
have a slotted wooden guage I use instead of a punching, and I just use a
very light finger touch. I think your method, which uses a fixed weight to
standardize that touch, is an improvement over what I do. I would also say
that it probably gives a slightly smaller measurement, due to compression
of felt with the 300 gm weight (I'd guess your .040" would be equivalent to
my .045" measurement). I rely on the feel of hitting the guage being
simultaneous with the end of hammer rise. But that is subject to my
judgment, which varies I'm sure. Using the weight makes it possible to talk
to other people with precision about just exactly what measurement works
best.

> Will be in tomorrow AM after the daily nine-holes (did I mention our
> snow's all gone?)
>
> cheers,
> Mark

I've been out picking cherries -  the crop is about done. Highs in the
90's. Just slightly different climate out here in the desert southwest.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico