Steinway Aggraffe (sorry)

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Thu, 10 Jun 2004 12:07:03 EDT

Susan writes:
<< >The strain is at the place where the agraffe broke, in
>a lateral direction,

er, um, that is to say, in a _vertical_ direction
.............................fui >>

Greetings,
    I seem to remember from my machinist's classes that the angle of fracture
from thread will be at 45 degrees to the axis of the thread.  This seems to
happen more than often in the agraffes I have repaired.  The surface of the
stub is rarely flat across.  I have had good success, when needing to drill and
remove, (as opposed to those glorious days when the broken piece moves under a
sharp probe and you know you can tease it out!),  by making sure that the
first, light, punch mark I make on the broken stub is in the middle of the piece,
and then the second or third heavier tap is slightly angled towards the high
side of the surface.  This usually lets the drill go in straight from the
beginning.
   I also carefully use a much smaller drill bit than the ez-out will call
for , then go up to the appropriate size once I know that the hole is straight
down the middle.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT