FW: M & H Stringing scale

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sun, 13 Jun 2004 09:51:28 EDT

           HI Paul
       I've noticed the inconsistencies in string scale as well especially i=
n=20
the bass tenor break. I've seen anywhere between size 19 & 21 & have treid=20
them all & it's still a lousy break. Those notes need more tension & should=20=
have=20
2 to 4 bichords for a proper cross over & lower tenor sonority. This is the=20
change made  on the ones here & it helps.=20
   Tom Cole has a 1929 M&H A  with a  unique bridge that has about 5 bichord=
s=20
on it. I think it's a way better scale design The Sheperds crook is gone &=20
the tenor bridge juts out sharply towards the case so that the bridge area i=
sn't=20
so close to the rim at the tail.
  The plate is slightly shortened in the areas which makes the bichords a bi=
t=20
longer as well to accomadate the bi chord lengths.
    Dale
Hi,
Any out there have a stringing scale for a Mason & Hamlin A about 1913, SN=20
22219.  The ones in the Travis book do not match what I recorded for our pro=
ject=20
piano and now we are trying to figure out if I was wrong or it just wasn=E2=
=80=99t=20
listed.  Everything is fine until I get to the last thirteen unisons.  I had=
=20
written down the following: 6 #18, 11 #19, and 2 #20.  The Travis book we ha=
ve is=20
an old one (circa 1961) and the closest scale in that area was: 9 #19, 1=20
#19-1/2, 1 #20 and 1 #21.

We are trying to figure out if the scale I have; (a) exits in a later=20
addition or, (b) will work.

Paul