Yamaha C7 tuning instability

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Thu, 17 Jun 2004 09:36:47 -0400

Hi Mark,
No solutions, but similar experiences.  I recently tuned a Yamaha - C2,
I think - which had been stored while a new sanctuary was being built.
They put the piano back in the sanctuary on Monday, and I tuned it on
Friday before they were to have their first service on Sunday.  I sat
down to tune, and noticed the air in the room was fairly cool.  I
started tuning the bass, and very few changes to the tuning were
needed.  As I got into the low tenor, it was a little on the low side.
I tuned up through middle C and noticed the low tenor had dropped back
almost back to where it had been, so I tuned it again.  I tuned all the
way through the piano, and found again that the low tenor had dropped
well below pitch again.  It was then that I noticed that the bass,
which had been right on when I began, was now between 4 and 8 cents
flat all the way across!  I also had to completely retune the entire
piano, this being the 4th pass for the low tenor.  I was also beginning
to notice that the air in the room was warming up.  Apparently the air
conditioning had been cut off or the setting raised not long after I
arrived.

I spent about 2 1/2 hours trying to get that piano tuned stable enough
that I could leave!  I had not used the pitch raise feature on my SAT
III, because when I measured several notes before I began, the pitch
was so close it didn't seem to warrant using the pitch raise.  I don't
like to use the pitch raise feature when the pitch is close because not
every note will be at the same deviation - particularly if the previous
tuner tuned aurally.

This is not an unusual experience for me with Asian pianos in churches,
and there is something about the feel of the Yamaha pins/pinblock as
they age that seems to make it more difficult to stabilize the pitch as
well.

Regards,
Jeff