Fortepiano

Stephen Birkett sbirkett@real.uwaterloo.ca
Wed, 23 Jun 2004 16:25:25 -0400

>Would anyone happen to know for sure if Fortepiano reproductions,
>specifically a Maene, are designed to be tuned to A-440. Since
>our new one is app. 1/2 step low, I'm assuming it should be
>A-415.

Depends on the string lengths, gauges, and wire type used by the
builder. There was no fixed rule even for historical builders. Modern
builders do all sorts of things too.  And modern builders have the
wire problem to worry about too, leading to compromises. Avery: do
you have the data on lengths and diameters, or even for just the C
string to give us the ballpark? And what kinds of wire is on it?

Stephen
--
Dr Stephen Birkett
Associate Professor