string breakage

Stephen Birkett sbirkett@real.uwaterloo.ca
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 23:32:41 -0400

Fred wrote:
>I've written this opinion before: use a thinner string. The thicker
>string requires
>more tension to get to the given pitch (same string length obviously being a
>given). For those with a bent for math and physics, the mass of the
>string is the
>significant factor here. While thinner wire has a bit more strength per cross
>sectional area (due to the working of the wire in the drawing
>process), that factor
>is relatively irrelevant.

Agreed. As I wrote previously, the improvement is minimal for high
carbon steel wire, but there is some increase with decrease in gage
size even with steel wire (see the old Newton thread discussion).

>Think of it this way: a "perfect scale" would have a single diameter wire,
>doubling length every octave. Every note would have exactly the same tension
>in this theoretical scale.

Depends how you define "perfect scale". A perfectly Pythagorean scale
exists independent of any consideration of tensions. All that's
required is equal stress on every note and lengths that double every
octave. This can be achieved just as well with different gages and
tensions, so the requirement of same tension throughout is
irrelevant. Wire strength is best related to stress, which is more of
less the same for any diameter (modulo the slight increase with
decreasing diameter discussed above), rather than tension.

>So we make a compromise curve that foreshortens lengths to less than 2:1 per
>octave. If we used a single diameter wire on this foreshortened scale, the
>tension would drop dramatically from top note to bottom, with resultant tone
>being awful. So, to compensate, we increase the diameter of the wire by
>increments -  so that tension will stay fairly high (a thicker
>diameter wire requires
>a higher tension to produce the same pitch).

Although this is the accepted wisdom I don't agree with this being
the reason for a same-gage scale sounding bad. Even a Pythagorean
scale with identical diameter wires and hence tensions would sound
bad. Thicker wires in the bass are needed to compensate for the
nonlinearity of the human ear (psycho-acoustics), so the bass sounds
as loud as the treble. You need comparatively more acoustic energy in
the bass strings or they will be perceived as weak and thin sounding.

>It's a counterintuitive concept, but one which I learned many years ago from
>painful experience with a badly scaled harpsichord, and a lesson I haven't
>managed to forget since. "Try it, you'll like it" <g>

Yes. And with historical iron wire the tensile pickup is not
insignificant -  you gain about 1/5 semitone per semitone decrease in
diameter. This is the factor which allows treble scales to be
stretched in fortepianos and harpsichords in the last few notes.

Stephen
--
Dr Stephen Birkett
Associate Professor