removing cross beam on a D

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Tue, 2 Mar 2004 06:47:58 EST

Roger writes:

<<       A strut of this diameter/cross sectional area. is a
tensioning strut.   Stops things from pulling apart.
  The plate has been designed very close to the compression limits of the
two struts, the added cross tensioning bar is there for insurance. >>

     I must be missing something here.  The bolt-in strut in a Steinway D is
under compression,  at least, in every case that I have been privy to.  It
appears that it's purpose is to resist the movement of the hitch-pin deck across
that wide, middle, section.   The negative angles on both ends, and the
configuration of the wedging action that they have says "compression" to me.  If it
were to be under tension, the attachment would be a single-shear application
of the two bolts holding it down, and that wouldn't do much.
   Or, did I mis-read the first letter?

Ed Foote RPT