Prepared Piano Guidelines

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 00:21:41 EST

In a message dated 3/2/2004 1:45:42 PM Central Standard Time, jminor@uiuc.edu
writes:
I would interested in seeing published guidelines for prepared pianos at
other institutions. I recently had a grad student in composition ask me
what he could and could not do with prepared piano for a composition he was
commissioned to write.
I had a number of suggestions but began to wonder if I had been concise
enough.

John Minor
University of Illinois
I might be barking up a very tall tree, but I don't see a need to "prepare" a
piano other than having it tuned and voiced. I don't consider those who ask
to have the piano strummed like a guitar, plucked like a chicken, or otherwise
misuse the instrument, should be called composers.  I more or less agree with
Jim, that any tampering should be off limits. Period.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Wim