"Phil Romano" <romano@sccoast.net>

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 14:10:13 -0500

(Off list)
Hey Phil,
The copy is from a thick bound book (full year of the Clavier), and I=20
found it difficult to get the type near the crease to be legible when=20
copied full sized because of the way I had to hold the book.  So, I did=20=

an 11x17 reduction to 8.5x11, and the crease problem wasn't as bad.  I=20=

can read it fine, but the print is fairly small and I don't know if it=20=

would fax clearly or not.  I would have done full size 11x17, but the=20
copier in the library isn't capable of it, and you can't take this book=20=

out of the library.  Also, there are two-page characteristics to the=20
article (title spreads, action diagram, etc), and it looks better in=20
the reduced, or two page format.

It'll take me a while, but I could type the text for you.  It is a=20
rather long article.  Or I can play around with the copier machine to=20
see what I can get it to do.

The article is very good with a few exceptions.  I don't agree with a=20
few of his statements so far, particularly in regard to damper=20
regulation.  He doesn't like the dampers to begin to lift before 1/2=20
hammer travel.  He says the extra weight makes the keys sluggish.  I=20
believe that if the damper contact is that late in the key stroke it=20
contributes to control problems due to the extra bump in the key.  It=20
is particularly cumbersome if the damper contact and escapement are=20
back to back "obstacles" near the end of the key stroke.  I'd prefer it=20=

happen around the first 1/3. I can live with up to 1/2, but not beyond=20=

that.

Other than that, and perhaps another questionable service tactic or so,=20=

it is a very useful article for the piano owner.

I'll see if I can get it to you soon in some legible form.

Jeff

On Wednesday, March 3, 2004, at 01:53 PM, Phil Romano wrote:

> Jeff,
> =A0
> If you copied it, could you post it or fax it to me? Fax # is the same=20=

> as my office #.
> =A0
> Phil

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...