Gratuities & concert tuning

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Thu, 04 Mar 2004 12:48:47 -0600

Richard

>    Another consideration of performance instruments is that they really get
>played very little.... unless they are also used for practice.   If a
>concert grand gave three performances a week, the playing time would be,
>say, one hour per day or 3 hours a week?  Tuning of this should take about
>1.5 hours a week.  What concert grand gets performed on as much as 3 hours a
>week?  Chances are they get practiced on much more than performance or
>tuning.
>
>Richard Moody

Going to have to disagree here. At least in my case and I imagine in a lot
of others. Just out of curiosity, I went through and counted the recitals
scheduled for the month of April just in our primary student recital hall:
21 for voice & various other instruments and 17 for piano, at least half
or so are at the Master's or DMA level, one using both 'D's. That's in
addition to a few Masterclasses and all the dress rehersals. There are also
10-11 hrs. use per week for the piano teachers' studio classes.

And are 3 weekend days not booked at all because of Easter!

So I think ours are used just "little" more than 3 hrs. a week for
performances. :-)

Avery