Piano Vandalism

James Ellis claviers@nxs.net
Thu, 04 Mar 2004 20:28:59 -0500

Why people will vandalize pianos, or anything else for that matter, is
beyond me, but they will do it.  Years ago at a nearby public school, a boy
got mad at one of the teachers, lifted the top of an upright piaino, and
wiped out the hammers - shanks - butts - flanges in the bass section - just
the bass.  His father was a county commissioner - called me up - told me to
fix it and send him the bill.  I did, and he paid me.  I don't think that
boy ever did anything like that again.

In another case, some boys broke into a church, and poured grape juice into
the 6-ft grand piano.  It was a Baptist church, and the juice was what the
church used for communion.

In another case, boys broke into another church and squirted a fire
extinguished into a 7-ft grand.  Fortunately, in each of the above cases,
they knew, or found out, who did it.

But there was a funny one too:  About fifty years ago there was a big
bronze statue of a WWII soldier on the front lawn of the old Knoxville
Central High School.  It was a real landmark.  One night, some vandals
poured paint all over it.  The cops and/or school authorities caught the
ones who did it.  Their punishment?  Clean it up, and polish the statue
back like it was before.  It was quite a job, but they did it.

Jim Ellis