new meaning for weighing keys

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 12:37:43 EST

Last night I tuned a Wurlitzer spinet. The right pedal wasn't working, so I
took off the bottom board, and attached the rod. But I discovered something
interesting. Hanging by a piece of thread from one of the stickers was a hugh
washer, about 1 1/2" in diameter. Naturally I took it off, and I found out that
the reason the weight was on the sticker was to make the key work. Without the
washer, the key stuck. So I lifted the key, and saw that the problem was that
the front bushing was folded over, creating lots of friction on the key. It
took only a couple of seconds to correct the problem.

I don't know if the washer was attached by a very incompetent piano tuner, or
by some ingenious customer. Lets hope it was the latter, but knowing some of
the technicians in this part of the country, it was probably the former.

Wim
Willem Blees, RPT
Piano tuner/technician
School of Music