new meaning for weighing keys

Thu, 11 Mar 2004 19:07:46 +0100

llafargue wrote:

> I had a customer with a nice C7 and he had a damper that wouldn’t
> work, so after 3 techs looked at it, they left 3 large metal clips
> attached to the damper head to make it dampen. The touchweight on that
> key was tremendous. It turned out the wire was bent front to back and
> rubbing on the belly of the piano under the edge of the soundboard
> when the key was depressed, causing the problem. When I pulled the
> wire forward and pulled the clips off in 5 seconds, the owner was a
> little amazed to have it work great.
>
> Lance Lafargue, RPT
>
> LAFARGUE PIANOS
>
> New Orleans Chapter, PTG
>
> 985.72P.IANO
>
> llafargue@charter.net

Amazing how easy it is too miss something like that... and how seductive
it can be to resort to solutions that you just KNOW are wrongos. I bet
if any of the previous techs had resorted to the... "well if nothing
else works lets take it apart and put it back together again" solution
that they'da spotted the real problem right off.

Nice one Lance

RicB