Treble ringing problem

Allan Gilreath agilreath@mindspring.com
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 08:21:25 -0500

For trouble shooting I like to use a piece of wood approximately =BD=94
wide, thick enough to be stiff (1/2-3/4=94) and whatever length is handy
(8-12=94) with thick soft felt glued to one side. This works well to =
mute
off large sections to find a damper leaking a sympathetic vibration and
is also good for determining when the owner or artist is offended by the
sounds from the front or rear duplex sections.

=20

Another thing I haven=92t seen listed in this discussion or in the =
recent
discussion in the journal is using small pieces of bushing cloth on
individual duplex portions per note rather than muting off the entire
section.  Just cut a small square or rectangle and place it over the
center string and under the two outer strings. Then the =93duplex =
mute=94
can be slid close to or farther from the capo (closer mutes more)
thereby adjusting just how much high end is lost from the duplex rather
than killing it.  The notes an be blended very easily and solve many
voicing problems.  If a note is particularly strong, two pieces can be
applied.  I find this particularly useful on the front duplex in the
lower capo section.

=20

Advantages: quick, economical, controllable and easily reversible.=20

=20

Back to the original discussion, I had to use one of my =93trouble
shooting strips=94 on a customer=92s Knabe.  It now resides on the =
speaking
length of the top treble section muting some of the over ring which she
finds more objectionable than the loss of tone in the top two octaves.
It=92s her piano=85

I hope this helps,

=20

Allan L. Gilreath, RPT