Treble ringing problem

Jim Busby jim_busby@byu.edu
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 09:44:05 -0700

Allan,
=20
Good tips. My partner here uses nameboard felt (sticky one side). You =
can place it wherever you want and it stays. The "stickum" doesn't seem =
to stay when you move it.=20
=20
Jim Busby=20
=20
-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of =
Allan Gilreath
Sent: Tuesday, March 16, 2004 6:21 AM
To: 'College and University Technicians'
Subject: RE: Treble ringing problem
=20
For trouble shooting I like to use a piece of wood approximately =BD" =
wide, thick enough to be stiff (1/2-3/4") and whatever length is handy =
(8-12") with thick soft felt glued to one side. This works well to mute =
off large sections to find a damper leaking a sympathetic vibration and =
is also good for determining when the owner or artist is offended by the =
sounds from the front or rear duplex sections.
=20
Another thing I haven't seen listed in this discussion or in the recent =
discussion in the journal is using small pieces of bushing cloth on =
individual duplex portions per note rather than muting off the entire =
section.  Just cut a small square or rectangle and place it over the =
center string and under the two outer strings. Then the "duplex mute" =
can be slid close to or farther from the capo (closer mutes more) =
thereby adjusting just how much high end is lost from the duplex rather =
than killing it.  The notes an be blended very easily and solve many =
voicing problems.  If a note is particularly strong, two pieces can be =
applied.  I find this particularly useful on the front duplex in the =
lower capo section.
=20
Advantages: quick, economical, controllable and easily reversible.=20
=20
Back to the original discussion, I had to use one of my "trouble =
shooting strips" on a customer's Knabe.  It now resides on the speaking =
length of the top treble section muting some of the over ring which she =
finds more objectionable than the loss of tone in the top two octaves.  =
It's her piano...

I hope this helps,
=20
Allan L. Gilreath, RPT