Steinway ringing, was Treble ringing problem

Alan McCoy amccoy@mail.ewu.edu
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 15:39:16 -0800

Wim,

Is the ringing throughout the scale? Or can the afterring be localized? Just
the bass not cutting off cleanly? Just the tenor? Have you gone through the
piano to make sure the strings are level and that no individual dampers are
leaking? It may be that the damper felt is to blame - too hard. Are the
dampers sluggish? If so in S&S pianos it is often because the damper wire is
leaning too hard against the guide rail felt. Pedal rod adjusted correctly
with enough lost motion? Some of these are so obvious that I am sure you
have checked, but I thought I'd throw them out anyway. I have noticed a few
newer S&S grands damping to be not as effective, in the bass particularly.
On first blush I was guessing that the felt is the culprit, but I haven't
been in the position to investigate these pianos.

Speaking of S&S dampers. I have noticed here at the school quite a bit of
disparity in damper scaling in the tenor. Quite a few have flat felt in the
front. I though that I understood S&S damper scaling but now am questioning
my understanding. Isn't the traditional S&S approach in the tenor to put the
tricord in the front and flat in the rear? (Exepting the couple near the
bass strut that have only tricords, and also excepting the 6 or so dampers
at the top tenor which are all flat).

Alan
Alan McCoy, RPT
Eastern Washington University