Steinway damper ringing problem

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 21:59:22 EST

Wim writes:
<< when a C or G chord is played, you can hear g4 ringing, but it's
like an overtone, not the actual note. I've put my finger on it, and it
doesn't
stop it. The same thing happens when I play an F or Bb chord, the f4 rings.
Other than that, any other
suggestions.  >>

One other thing that I have run into is a bass damper, usually a uni-chord,
that has too much backward tilt.  This allows the proximal damper to sit off
the string just enough to allow a much higher partial to sympathetically excite
the bass string.
  On a very slow lift, look for damperheads that rise at the front!
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT