Kawai heavy action

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 07:16:15 -0700

	I have a customer with a small Kawai grand from the early 80's which has a
very heavy touch weight. In my experience, this is very common among Kawai
grands of that era (especially the ones sold as Howards), and I expect
downweights in the area of 65 gm, upweights around 40 gm. I have serviced
several, but never has a customer wanted me to do anything about the
weight. They've all either liked the heavy weight, or been too cheap to
spend a dime. Until now.
	This particular customer has developed "wrist problems" (incipient carpel
tunnel?), and is wondering whether to trade pianos or have this one worked
on. So I need to be able to speak with authority and say
a) I can take care of this problem. It will cost $X. Or,
b) You are better advised to trade in and get a different piano.
	My sense is that $X needs to be in the "up to $500" range. IOW, action
geometry changes are probably out of the picture.
	So I wonder if any of you have experience in addressing weight issues in
small Kawai's of this vintage, and would be willing to share. Specifically,
I'm wondering if a combination of wipp spring adjustment, adding a bit of
lead to keys, and tapering hammers is likely to produce acceptable results.
And whether just springs, just lead, or springs and lead would be enough.
Thanks,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico