voicing schedule

Alan McCoy amccoy@mail.ewu.edu
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 09:24:14 -0800

Well said Fred. I suspect you speak for many of us.

Alan

Alan McCoy, RPT
Eastern Washington University
509-359-4627
amccoy@mail.ewu.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of Fred
Sturm
Sent: Thursday, March 18, 2004 6:44 AM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: Re: voicing schedule

Greg,
	Good question. Not easy to give a simple answer. I guess I have a
sort of regular voicing schedule for the concert instruments. Both get at
least a fairly thorough going over during the summer, and touch up once or
twice a semester, which usually involves some sticking with needles.
	As for other instruments, well, it's a matter of time available and
circumstance. Certainly there are priorities. Piano studios are the only
really high priority among faculty studios (other studios mostly just need
to be fairly even and easy to play soft). Certain classrooms (where there
are master classes and the like) and piano major practice rooms are the
other places I spend the most time voicing.
	Techniques vary with hammers and with location. For high priority
pianos, I do careful shaping, mating, travelling, aligning, squaring (not in
that order), and needling, with some judicious doping if needed. For lower
priority, and especially as maintenance in practice rooms, I do quite a bit
of steaming.
	Bottom line, I don't have enough time to do nearly enough voicing. I
try to come close to "top standard" on a few instruments (concert and top
dog piano faculty), and for the rest to make things livable. A lot of it is
serendipity: I have the room and piano available for another half hour or
hour before I have to be somewhere else. What's the best use I can make of
that time? Often it's some form of voicing. Ten minutes with a handkerchief,
some water, and a hammer iron can get you a pretty enormous improvement in
many cases. Throw in a bit of cross stitching and sugaring, and it's that
much better. Careful prep and needling are best, but there the investment is
measured in hours. Lasts longer, but there just aren't enough hours for me
to that on more than 10 - 20% of my inventory on a regular basis.
	Hope this helps.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico