Easing Grand Damper rail bushings

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 20:20:33 EST

In a message dated 3/22/2004 8:59:27 AM Pacific Standard Time, edoss@utm.edu
writes:
Any suggestions on the best tool for easing grand damper rail bushings?
Schaff has a "Grand Damper Wire Easer" but I didn't know if there was a
better product on the market or not.  I'm working on a 7' Steinway.
Elwood,

Especially if it's a newer Steinway, first check the side pressure - the
bushings are seldom too tight. The easiest way for me is just to check all of them
with the action out - it doesn't take very long. I step on the pedal to raise
them all, then gently press the wire left and right about an inch below the
guide bushing. One direction, they will move away from the bushing in the
direction of pressure; and the other way, they either won't move, or will lever the
opposite way of the pressure. You can quickly get a feel for the ones which
are bearing too hard left or right, by how much pressure it takes to push them
away from the bushing.

Different damper installers at the factory have their own opinion on whether
they all bear left, all bear right, all bear toward the unison, or all away.
Usually it's all toward the unison, but it should at least be consistent.

Anyway, there should only be light pressure against the bushing, and lately
they've been careless and set many too hard against the bushing.

If the side pressure is too great, straighten the lower bend very slightly
with wire-bending pliers. When you get used to it, you can do a whole set in
about 10 minutes, as not all of them will need bending.

Bob Davis