Kawai heavy action

fssturm@unm.edu fssturm@unm.edu
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 19:21:35 -0700

   Today I visited the piano in question. Thought I'd report briefly on what I found.
Jim Harvey and Vince Mrkalo get the prize for best diagnosis at a cyber-
distance.
   The piano is a KG-2, 1984, with wooden, Schwander style wipps, with carbon
jacks (no assist springs). My first diagnostic step was to measure DW and UW,
which were pretty consistent at 70 and 20 (+ or - 2 or so). Obviously friction
problems. Initial thoughts of weight problems as well, as BW calculates at 45.
   I pulled the action, and checked for key friction. Nothing significant. Bushings
had more play than I like, so were plenty free. Applying side pressure, there was
no noticeable friction against key pins. Balance holes were pretty good (maybe
1/3 needed easing).
  I pulled up on some hammers. A little working of those flanges revealed a
relatively mild case of the Asian Flange Flu (milder Japanese variety, not the
truly virulent Korean strain). I examined the knuckles. More slop between
leather and core than almost any I'd ever seen.
   I figured I'd found my main culprits, so I did a little experimentation. I took three
adjacent keys, and
1) Proteked the hammer and wipp flanges, working them side to side (along the
length of the centerpins, not working them as a hinge. This is far more efficent
for getting Protek to do its best).
2) Brushed knuckles and applied powdered teflon.
3) Applied powdered teflon to the wipp cushions for good measure.
   Now I re-measured DW and UW and found 48 (!?!) and 30. IOW, weight and
geometry are just fine, thank you. BW is actually a very workable 39. (If I should
want to reduce it, the hammers are nicely un-tapered, and a gram can easily be
removed by tapering, reducing everything at the front of the key by 5 gm).
Interesting how friction can work this way. It's not the first time I've measured
high DW and low UW and predicted not only a friction problem, but a weight
problem as well, only to find that when friction was removed the weight problem
was reduced. Goes to show you shouldn't place too much credence in formulas.
Sometimes down friction and up friction are not equal. I think this is also true
often with rubbing parts, but in the opposite direction.
   I then tuned the piano, thinking over what I would propose to do. I ended up
bidding a one to 1 1/2 day job, intending to ream and repin all hammerflanges
(a hammer filing has to go along with this; fortunately the hammers aren't
grooved very deeply); detach one end of each knuckle leather, stretch and re-
glue, apply powdered teflon; do some other incidental friction removal, like
brushing, ironing, applying powdered teflon to wipp cushions; polish and
Mclube capstans; polish and mclube keypins; ease balance holes as needed.
And then a fairly rapid regulation, including making damper lift a bit later. Slam
dunk, I think. We'll see if they go for it.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico