Easing Grand Damper rail bushings

llafargue llafargue@charter.net
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 21:52:53 -0600

Fred, Elwood,
>>>I have rarely seen....
That's likely because it is relatively dry where you are.  I see them
tight all the time.  I would look at the earlier discussion last week on
the Steinway ringing problem. I would closely look at underlevers.
Also, easing the guiderail with a heated bridge pin will iron/size the
bushings if needed.  I would also refer you to past Spurlock articles on
guiderail rebushing where he discusses pin sizes to use, etc.
>>> In fact, I have considered (but haven't got around to) installing an
umbrella tool
in a small length of brass rod for use in the same soldering iron.

I use my key bushing sizing/easing tool and chuck the pin in a rod of
brass.  It can burn the damper heads if not careful - ask how I know.  ;
)   I have seen one made to use from underneath, which will be my next
idea to try.

Elwood, probably a combination of tightness in underlevers, need for
lubricants, wire bending, and easing guiderail should all be looked at.
It's important that the suggestion to grind down the umbrella tool to a
very sharp point be done.

Lance Lafargue, RPT
LAFARGUE PIANOS
New Orleans Chapter, PTG