Tuning stability

Fri, 26 Mar 2004 21:38:09 +0100

Jeff...

There are basically two kinds of false beats. The kind that are fairly
precisely defined soundwise, resembling greatly clean beating between
two slightly out of tune unisons, and the dirty noisely kind of
falsness.  Its been my experience that the former can be very
successfully delt with nearly 100 % of the time by tightening the fit of
the bridge pin to the bridge pin hole. Either by replacing pins,
applying CA glue, removing pins and filling with epoxy and replacing
pins, or other such method. The later kind of falsness is nearly always
due to some kind of termination problem like worn capo bar or aggraffes,
nicks in the bridge pins, bad string contact with the bridge, or
sometimes the string itself is just plain dirty sounding.

Tapping down the bridge pins can only help the later of these two, and
only in the case of poor contact between the string and bridge, or to a
lesser degree tapping can sometimes help get around a nicked bridge
pin.  Tapping may end up being a pretty temporary condition if there is
marginal or negative bearing. Ron Nossaman has a lot to say on that
point.  And, as most of us have discussed from time to time... tapping
in any case can easily worsen a problem if its not done very very
carefully.

If restringing is an option, then you have the possibility to clean up
the sound quite a bit by addressing several issues while the strings are
off.  First, new strings generally improve the sound by themselves.
Secondly you can use the opportunity to clean up the capo bar
termination. For Steinways I urge you to check with Ed McMorrows
proceedures for this. He stipulates a clearly define "V" profile with a
0.5 mm wide leading edge. I've used this for years and had great results
that last a long time.  Thirdly, you can address a few bridge related
issues.  New bridge pins in the case of rust / corrosion / bad nicks
from string wear, cleaning up the notching in the case that is needed,
and dealing with loose... even very slightly loose bridge pins.  You can
get even get into down-bearing  to some limited degree if you know what
you are doing and if its appropriate.

I see restringing jobs done a lot where absolutely nothing is done
outside of replacing strings and tuning pins. Always struck me as a sad
waste of time.  Why go to all that trouble and not bother cleaning up
termination problems ?

Cheers
RicB