Tuning stability

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@noos.fr
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 23:09:16 +0200

Fred, I believe that if you warm the string rubbing them with a piece
of wood , you'll get a very fast stabilisation, and you can avoid to
bend them, bend can take place later I guess, is not it better?

The "Fenner method to stabilize fast is using about a full tone and
may be a tone and a half up to half a tone  for the 2 last sections,
but only for small groups of strings (to avoid rolling the bridge) ,
I've heard of some factory that clamp the bridge - may be only the
bass bridge ?  prior to pitch raise also).

I am unsure I'll use it on a concert piano, it change the tone of the
strings to the clearer.

Better also have a look at the tension and breaking strain we have
generally a large margin but in the treble of some brands.

Best regards.

Isaac OLEG

-----Message d'origine-----
De : caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org]De la part de
Fred Sturm
Envoye : lundi 29 mars 2004 16:36
A : College and University Technicians
Objet : RE: Tuning stability

Hi Jeff,
	I'd be more than a little hesitant to do a partial restring one week,
and
have the piano in a performance situation the next. If I were you, I'd
wait
until summer. It's possible to get reasonable stability that fast, but
not
at a "concert level," IMO. I've done a complete restring on a concert
instrument, and had it in performance a month later, and that was
awfully
tight. There were issues, to put it diplomatically. Not fatal, but not
exactly the sort of thing that burnishes one's reputation.
	I'd also advise replacement of bridge pins, not just CA. The pins
themselves develop grooves, which generate string noise in various
ways.
And the bridge top itself is fairly likely to have grooves where the
strings cross, especially if anyone has been tapping down strings over
the
past 30 years. If I am doing as much as restringing and dressing the
capo,
I'd just as soon get all the terminations as close to optimum as
possible.
Meaning pull pins, surface and renotch, replace with new pins - sizing
the
holes. Adds a few more hours, but worth it, IMO.
	To get pitch stability as fast as possible, my own procedure is:
1) Get moderate tension on strings
2) Clean up coils
3) Space strings to hammers (using their current positions as a guide,
evening out where appropriate) - tension is well below pitch, strings
slide
easily along capo without "planing off" the lubricant I have applied
and
shaving up little bits of buzzing-source metal
4) Pull to pitch
5) Pull to plus 25 cents
6) Work strings back of bridge: massage with brass tool, creating
positive
bends on duplex and against bridge pins.
7) Pull to plus 25 cents
8) Work strings front of bridge: massage with brass tool where
possible,
string hook where needed, to create positive bends at capo and aliquot
humps
9) One more tuning at plus 25 cents. Leave for at least a couple days
10) Massage strings vigorously. Level strings using string level. Tune
pitch. Tune entire piano.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico

--On Saturday, March 27, 2004 12:01 PM -0700 Jeff Stickney
<jpstickney@montanadsl.net> wrote:

> Ric, Fred, Mark and all,
> 	I'm convinced that partial restringing would benefit the piano
> and my frustration level.  The question I have at this point is
this:
> If I go ahead with the work next week (spring break), would the new
> strings be stable enough to be used the next week?  I have restrung
> pianos before, and would know to seat and lift strings to establish
the
> bends (after the piano is at pitch - or maybe a little above), but I
> haven't done a partial job with the mix of old and new strings.
Would
> it be best to wait until the end of the semester when I would not be
> under the gun as much to get it done and back in action?  If you
think
> it would be doable, any other ideas to hasten the stability?  Leave
the
> piano at 442 for a few days?  Would it be best to do one section at
> time, rather than unstring the whole mid-range to the top at once?
If I