Sanding Paddles

Jim Busby jim_busby@byu.edu
Tue, 25 May 2004 13:02:32 -0600

Garrett,

Here's another way to help the old lungs. We have a small air purifier
to the right of our sanding/filing station gently blowing across (side
to side) the work area and on the other side have a larger "intake"
filter to receive the dust. I'm allergic to the wool dust and this cross
ventilation system helps me greatly.

Jim Busby BYU

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Garret E. Traylor
Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 12:22 PM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: Sanding Paddles

I have been using Joe's 1/2" paddle for almost a year now. Wonderful,
Wonderful tool!  Some of the best money I have ever spent.
<http://www.mothergoosetools.com/other_tools/hammer_paddles.shtml>.  I
remember Carlos Raylon RPT from the Washington DC chapter did a show and
tell on a similar tool that he brought back from Japan some ten years or
so
ago...I was so excited to see that Joe had made almost the exact same
tool.
For everyday use, I also use a small sanding board for controlled work;
one
hammer at a time...taught to me by Yamaha and Kawai Technicians.  When I
file hammers, I also try to use a canister 'Dust Buster' vacume to draw
away
the felt fibers from getting in lungs.

Kindest Regards,
Garret Traylor