Practical Concert Work

Chris Solliday solliday@ptd.net
Sat, 29 May 2004 21:44:06 -0400

Hello Dave and all, I have for many years regulated by using the thickness
of the string method. That is Let off at  a distance equal to the thickness
of the string but my final check always is that the hammer does not enter
the vibrating envelope of the string from a ff blow on a rapid pp blow. This
has worked well in many high profile situations over many years. By the way,
for Fred, our 4 full seasons in the Northeast can easily mess up any piano
tuning, regulation, and voicing. Ah to live in New Mexico and breathe the
air.... Chris Solliday                         sorry if this duplicates,
I'll get the hang of this darn thing sooner or later
----- Original Message -----
From: "David M. Porritt" <dporritt@mail.smu.edu>
To: <caut@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, May 29, 2004 5:25 PM
Subject: Re: Practical Concert Work

> Fred:
>
> Just musing here, but I do think a "reliable" regulation has some merit.
I've regulated pianos to the gnat's eyelash and had it go south on me making
blocking hammers, or double striking hammers.  Generally, when you go back
to fix that you say something about fine regulation being very close to
blocking.  I don't think the customers are impressed at that point.  You
regulated, you had to come back and fix it.  In their mind it was wrong.  I
heard Bill Garlick once tell a class that if you're going to regulate it
that close make sure to hang around for the concert!

> I live 17 miles from the school so I do tend to like a "safe" regulation.
I don't set it at  3mm but I don't like it so close that you can kind of
feel the hammer letting off on the string.  In addition, in a recital hall
seating 500 there is seldom any playing done at the pppp level such that the
note would miss.  Most recital playing is pp to sfffffff!

> I enjoyed his perspective and his comments on voicing.  I too mainly worry
about the striking surface though I understand that this is somewhat
controversial.  Whatever floats your boat!