Journal Articles

Mark Cramer Cramer@BrandonU.CA
Mon, 31 May 2004 14:07:38 -0500

Fred,

I continually appreciate and admire your willingness to "go it alone." You
must be a brute for punishment!  :>)

In any case, the only complaints I've received from professional artists
about our primary concert piano were "it won't play soft," and "it won't
play soft"...and they were absolutely right!

The most recent was an impromptu gig, I had recently filed the hammers and
was allowing them to settle in before needling . Very sorry to have left the
instrument in this shape for such a lovely player.

The prior was a number of years back, during my season of "safety
regulating," and 3mm let-off.

BTW, I understand and agree with points being raised on both sides,
nonetheless, for concert instruments, "performance" is the order.

(Sometimes when at a loss as to what can be done (rabbit in the hat?) to
make a mediocre action more to a (capable) pianists liking, fine let-off
adjustment (along with some friction treatment of knuckles and key-pins) and
some shallow crown needling, may be the "safest" thing one can do...IMHO)

For those in extreme climates (several of you mentioned) you may find this
simple approach sustainable:

For most of the flock; 3-2-1mm, bass through treble. If regulating outside
the heating season, add 1 mm all the way across; seasonal compensation.

For the piano faculty and graduate students, I try (I said "try") ride herd
on the after-touch adjustments mid-winter. If out-of-necessity, they're
being regulated over summer, add the "1mm safety margin" and follow up in
the winter. It's usually close, (IOW our seasonal variance is 1mm) though
drop is not.

And for recital pianos, eye-balling A/T settings is just part of the
pre-concert obsession.

I do have a nagging question though;

Upon my arrival (6 years ago), I noticed a regulating trend that seemed
nothing, if not deliberate:

Pianos had been regulated for very, very close let-off (ala; Fred S.)
however drop was uniformly about 1/4," and rep. springs were fairly hyper.
(presumeably the wide drop was compensation for the strong spring settings?)

Can anyone tell me, was/is this a popular regulating style? Taught at
conventions? By manufacturers?

I was initially timid to change it. Didn't want to undo someone else's very
meticulous work, without understanding what they were trying to acheive.
However, the "notchiness" of the wide drop setting finally got to me, and I
eventually conformed things to my own narrow (pardon the pun) understanding.

Can anyone shed light on this for me, otherwise I carry on happily as above.

thanks,
Mark Cramer,
Brandon University