pay raises wasRe: [CAUT] job opening

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 4 Nov 2004 06:51:12 EST

In a message dated 11/3/2004 7:21:10 PM Central Standard Time,
purdy@ohio.edu writes:

Here we  get an annual evaluation and raise.  I have a twelve month
contract,  renewed each year.  This is basically the same as faculty.
We  all get the same percentage of a basic raise.  Then, depending on
the  budget, the dean and the school director each can add to that as a
merit  raise.  As far as I know, there are no other raises at anyones
whim.

Chris

Thanks to all those who contributed to this post. In my situation, this  past
summer, the president announced a 7.5% merit pay raise. But I only got 2%.
The way it was explained to me was that I am already the highest paid staff
member of the School of Music, even higher than our administrative assistant,
who's been at her job for 25 years, and has received all sorts of awards. He
told me that if I got more than 2% it would basically ruffle some feathers.
(The  administrative assistant does all the payroll, so I guess it would be her
feather that got ruffled.) I am not complaining too much, though. Yes, the
extra  money would have been nice, but I've got a pretty nice job. I'm
appreciated, and  I don't have to account for my time. I get paid $21.52 an hour for
37.5 hours  per week, and an extra $3000 per semester to teach a Music
Appreciation class.  Next semester I'll get another $1500 to teach a piano class, like
we've been  discussing, and direct the handbell choir.

In regard to putting something the CAUT guidelines, what I was looking for
was not actual figures, but perhaps a pay range. I think the reason the UT job
is only paying $15 per hour is ignorance. I don't think the university has
any  idea of what the better school are paying, much less what full time piano
technicians make on the outside. The other thing is the experience and
education  thing. Again, I think it's ignorance. I don't think even the professors in
the  music department have any idea of what it takes, education and
experience wise,  to properly take care of the pianos. Just as at Denver, if UT thinks
they  are going to get someone with only 3 - 5 years of experience, with only
a  high school education, who knows how to properly voice and regulate their
concert piano, they are going to be for a rude awakeing. If it is the
intention of this committee to send the guidelines to all music departments  around
the country, perhaps a short paragraph about this might open some  eyes.

Wim