[CAUT] teaching piano tuning

Dorothy Bell dabell58@earthlink.net
Sun, 7 Nov 2004 16:39:12 -0500

Hi, Kent and all --

I should have finished the sentence to make my point clearer: I was
thinking something along the lines of recording the waveforms and
identifying which sorts of hammers (if any) created larger-amplitude
resonances in the high overtones and which did not, for example. The
professors' opinions would be a different sort of study.

What prompted my thoughts were some articles I saw recently, studies of
vibrational spectra created by different sorts of hammer felts done by
Scandinavian scientists and published in the Journal of the Acoustical
Society. My dad, who is a violin theoretician, is always sending me such
articles and saying, I bet your friends have been talking about this
interesting article! And in fact we mostly don't.

I would think that if we were to propose a college/university level
training, we would need to be developing such training with the purpose of
advancing knowledge (someone else here just said that, I'm sorry I've
forgotten who).

JMHO --

Dorrie Bell