[CAUT] Lacquering Steinway Hammers

Jorgensen, Michael L jorge1ml@cmich.edu
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 06:10:58 -0500

Hello All,
     Try Schaff "Bright Tone" hammer head solidifier, Pg 90 Cat#499-8.  This stuff smells like, looks like, and I suspect is pure good old fashioned lacquer in a very strong solution, (perhaps even 1:1)   They warn not to let this go into the strike point. My gut feeling was to dilute to about half or more.   They also sell "Hammer Felt Hardener"  Same page, Cat# 1404.  This is a strong acetone-white plastic mix that can be used on the strike point.  I would stick to the lacquer for the initial hardening as I don't think acetone-plastic is hard enough.  I prefer the sound of 10:1 lacquer acetone mix where it goes on the strike point to the plastic stuff.
    You probably can't ruin the top octave and a half of Steinway Hammers by over lacquering.  Simply pull one off and soak it in pure lacquer thinner for three days and start over if you think you have.  Change the thinner once a day as it will turn yellow each day.   Re lacquer before it dries and let it set a few days before playing.
    The mistake is NOT being aggressive enough on that first application, for after it dries, it may block future applications, or if it doesn't penetrate deeply enough, will create a hard outer shell supported by soft felt.  It will sound good but won't come up to fortissimo.  I don't think one needs to do the strike point until last, as that area is always accessible.   If one has created a hard outer shell, it is sometimes possible to come in from the sides of the hammer with the action placed on end and get lacquer deep into and around the mounding area.  Also lacquering down low, below the staple is very affective.
    I prefer to stay out of the strike point below about the top 20 notes until one is all done, building up a strong support base.  Latter you can bring up the strike point with a drop of acetone lacquer, maybe 10:1.
    A top nationally known rebuilder I know,  (but will protect his name), confessed  "I end up throwing away about 1/3 of them" when doing Steinway Hammers.  If he can do that, the average tech shouldn't feel bad about throwing away half of them, so next time I'm going to order two sets and figure it into the cost.  For those who just avoid this mess and use other brands, I say, that there is nothing like the sound of a lacquered hammer, especially in the mid-range and bass.   When they turn out good, they can be really good, though they don't all turn out that way.  IMHO, an ideal might be genuine Steinway for the lowest 60 notes switching to a different brand for the top. From having replaced many single hammers here and there, I know it is possible to voice them so no one could tell without looking..
    I wish Steinway would prelacquer all of there hammers with that first vital first step so they are at least in the "Acceptable range of hardness" when they come out of the box.  That little bit of work would save us an awful lot of loss and grief, and would probably get a lot more people using them.
-Mike