[CAUT] Lacquering Steinway Hammers

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 08:15:34 -0800

davidlovepianos@comcast.net
-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2004 7:42 AM
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: Re: [CAUT] Lacquering Steinway Hammers

  Hey David
 You missed my point entirely. But that's OK. My point was get some
lacquer then  try some on sample hammer & see what happens, Whatever
solids content it is can be adjusted by thinning unless the solids are
incredibly low.
  Dale
I think it's worth knowing whether or not different lacquers will
produce different results at similar dilution levels.  There is quite a
bit of difference between 12% and 26% solids if you are using a 3:1
dilution.  If Eric Schandall is correct in his report, then the solution
advocated by Steinway is a fairly light solution.  This might explain
why different people report using various dilution levels and seem to
achieve similar results.  Using a high solids lacquer with a 3:1
dilution may produce a hammer that has a much higher concentration of
lacquer than is desirable or that will develop well over time.  With all
the talk recently about "over lacquered hammers" and the wonders of
Wurzen, I think it's a microscope worth looking through.