[CAUT] back duplex

Mon, 22 Nov 2004 06:27:14 -0500

Lance-
Lest there be any doubt, I did not intend my comments to be critical of
you.  Rather, they reflect a more generalized frustration.  I completely
appreciate your position, have experienced the same, and have not tended to
do any better navigating between the desire to help and protect the
customer (and myself), and commercial expediencies.

A while back, I had been called to tune a small Kawai grand, which had been
purchased in a University-type sale.  I seem to recall that there was a
grey-market component to this sale.  The piano turned out to have, what I
felt to be, some significant negative bearing.  I encouraged the customer
to pursue the issue, since the piano was still under a dealer
warrantee.  They did, up until the dealer sent another technician who
claimed there was no problem, and who, apparently, was successful in
undermining my credibility.

Bottom line...I think you (we) can provide a certain amount of guidance and
support, but, ultimately, it's up to the individual customer to defend and
protect their investment.  If your customer had believed you enough (not
your fault), it would have been up to them to press their claim to dealer
and manufacturer.  As much as you might wish to, you can't protect people
from themselves.  As for whether the dealer's response was ethical, it
seems that, more and more, the observance of what we would consider to be
ethical behavior is determined by the economic bottom line.  "It's what you
might call...a guideline".

Regards-

David Skolnik