[CAUT] voicing a D

David M. Porritt dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Fri, 1 Oct 2004 09:45:55 -0500

What section of the piano?  Is there crown & bearing?  Does it=
 have that sound like the string is tuned 400-cents low?
dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University
Dallas, TX 75275
dporritt@mail.smu.edu

From: <Wimblees@aol.com>
To: <caut@ptg.org>
Subject: [CAUT] voicing a D

I need some help from some of you who have lots of voicing=
 experience.

The D in our concert hall has a problem, at least as perceived by=
 one of our piano faculty and a musicologist. They differ on=
 where they hear the problem, but it seems to be the same sound=
 they hear. They describe it as a wave length that is very wide,=
 as opposed to a more focused wave. It is not so much a twangy=
 sound and it lack a certain amount of depth. They are even=
 leaning towards a soundboard problem. The piano is only 2 years=
 old.

I have lacquered and voiced the hammers last year, and this=
 summer spent quite a bit of time leveling strings, making the=
 sure the hammer strike point is level, etc. All the usual fine=
 point. But I want to see what I can do to get more "focus" out=
 of the hammer.

Thanks

Wim