[CAUT] more problems with the D

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Thu, 7 Oct 2004 21:52:47 -0400

Wim-

You are getting some good suggestions, but I would suggest you proceed very carefully in ways that are easily reversable until you are sure you're going in a direction that will satisfy your faculty.

If you have other D's that are acceptable to the faculty, you might try swapping a few hammers to see if they like the sound of those hammers on the problem piano.  If they do, then you know the solution is in the hammers.

It also might be worth experimenting with some leftover hammers, maybe even try a few Renner or Abel hammers.

Ed Sutton

To: caut@ptg.org
Sent: 10/7/2004 7:29:17 PM
Subject: Re: [CAUT] more problems with the D

In a message dated 10/7/04 6:21:29 PM Central Daylight Time, davidlovepianos@comcast.net writes:
I would opt for string seating, making sure the hammers are hard enough underneath and aren’t mushing out in the upper area of the piano, hammer shape and fitting.  For focus I think you need a pretty firm supporting structure of the hammer that is not too hard on the crown—iron fist in a velvet glove.
David

This summer I spent quite a bit of time making sure the strings and hammers are level, etc. Since this is pretty much in the capo area, I will again make sure the strings are seated on the V bar, and on the bridges.

To make sure I understand you right, though, for the hammers, should add hardener to the shoulders, and then soften up the top? Or just harden up the underneath, and leave the tops alone?

Wim