[CAUT] Virus found

Avery Todd atodd@uh.edu
Wed, 13 Oct 2004 12:46:59 -0500

List,

I don't know anything has gone out or not but I just discovered I
HAD this Trojan Horse! Don't now, though.

It ticks me off. I have Norton, update at least twice a week, etc.
I wonder how it got by.

Anyway, you might want to do a virus scan just in case. Below is
what I found out about it.

Avery

Backdoor.IRC.RPCBot.C

Discovered on: August 29, 2003
Last Updated on: August 29, 2003 04:50:29 PM

Backdoor.IRC.RPCBot.C is a Backdoor Trojan Horse that gives its creator full
control of your computer. The Trojan's creator can also instruct the Trojan
to use the DCOM RPC vulnerability (described in
<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-026.asp>Microsoft<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-026.asp>
Security Bulletin MS03-026) to spread itself.

<http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/refa.html#variants>Variants:
Backdoor.IRC.RPCBot
Type:
<http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/refa.html#trojan>Trojan Horse
<http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/refa.html#length>Infection
Length: varies
<http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/refa.html#systemsaffected>Systems
Affected: Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me,
Windows NT, Windows XP
<http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/refa.html#systemsnotaffected>Systems
Not Affected: Linux, Macintosh, OS/2, UNIX