[CAUT] Moving capstans

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Tue, 19 Oct 2004 14:39:47 -0700

The knuckle tends to be about 4-5 grams per mm.  The capstan is more
difficult because it depends on the overall keylength.  You can make a
dummy capstan out of a cut-off capstan (us a hacksaw) screwed into a
small block of wood.  Set the block on the key and secure it with double
stick tape.  Measure the BW before and after a measured move.  That will
give you a good idea.  Similarly, I would use a sample shank.  Either
pull the hammer off and reglue it or wrap the end of the new shank with
enough solder to duplicate the strikeweight on the original.  Reweigh
before and after and that will give you an idea.  Be sure you measure
closely the original knuckle position and the new one.  Sometimes they
aren't always put on where they say they are.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Alan McCoy
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 1:28 PM
To: CAUTlist
Subject: [CAUT] Moving capstans

Hi Folks,

I'd like to pick some of your brains about a problem action. I thought
it
might help the discussion to include my spreadsheet, but the list
administrator thought it better to separate the attachment. If you want
to,
please go to http://www.ptg.org:1406/files/20041019125312.xls for the
worksheet.

Is there some way to calculate how much BW will change when moving
either
the knuckle or the capstan? Or does anyone have enough experience/data
for a
rule of thumb for this calculation?

Comments?

Thanks.