[CAUT] piano dismantling (footnote)

Dafydd Llwyd Talcott 75711.1537@compuserve.com
Fri, 22 Oct 2004 17:01:18 -0400

Don--

It's just you. I found it with no problem and printed it out for a friend.

Reminds me of another performance piece that I read about
many years ago; more in the John Cage style, I suppose.
For this one you use an upright, with carefully placed piezo
or other contact mikes in and on the piano, and of course a
few external mikes as well. Stuff the thing with kerosene rags
inside and out and set it aflame. My personal variation on this
would be to have a performer play something like Art of Fugue
until the piano became too unsafe to play further, then retire
to watch and listen. Very Zen,

My only performance of this nature was when we scrapped
out an old upright at the local dump, when the dump was arranged
-- in less civilized times -- where the paved area was about eight
feet above the landfill area. We brought the piano in a pickup
truck, waved  to the compactor operator, pointed to the piano,
and then simply dumped it. While the compactor gleefully ran
over it we thought we could hear it break, but maybe not: it
was too noisy.

Cheers,
Dave Talcott
Consultant