[CAUT] Moving capstans

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@noos.fr
Sat, 23 Oct 2004 11:34:32 +0200

Hello all,

I've read this dicussion with interest, and I compare the way you get
to those things and the way our action maker approach these  problems.

Apparently there are different kind of touch that are driven primarly
by the distance where the hammer is glued on the shank, be it 125 mm
or 130 mm (or even more as seen on some "power flower" actions, that
barely work with 11.5 dip)
Then the distance between the hammer center (at strike level) and
whippen center is fixed , depending of the hammer gluing (if one use
standard parts).

That gives yet a first key ratio as there is some standard mesure from
whippen center to pilot attack point (highest half of the magic line)

Then we have a height where the strings are at strike point.
And, we need an action that will drive the hammer around 47 mm for a10
mm stroke

The distances from lever center to the pilot attack point is more or
less fixed depending of the association of parts, essentially to get
there on the magic line at half stroke. Hence a whippen, heel choice
to get to that standard , While attaining a wanted key ratio that is
said to produce the wanted hammer move for 10 mm dip.

The vertical spread remain fixed , with some possible declination
depending of the kind of touch wanted.

A look at this method show us clearly the limitations we encounter,
and there are a lot (not speaking of hammer tallness that is also a
limit)

No mention of weight or BW in this approach, I'll  bet that if a BW
rasearch is to be made, on may as well check for distance ratio AND
for magic line positionning (by computing, not with a thread) The
shape of the pilots and whippen saddle does not allow for much
variations if we want to avoid undue friction and action inefficiency
a full dip because of misplacement.

After having seen a captan move made without change of whippen heel
placement or height (the wooden edge of the whippen heel was cut to
give cleareance for the capstan, that is then acting more or less on
the edge of the whippen felt, and not  even using the underfelt shock
adbsorbing propreties (and that have worn very fast as well) I have
lost a lot of interest in David's solutions when it comes to a
pianistic touch. (the sharps where asking for way too much dip , yes
they had the wanted BW , same as the white)

As I try to "keep the baby while throwing out the bath's water" I 'll
admit it was a cheap job, for some reason (budget, probably) but this
experience showed me that a capstan move is not a so simple thing,
even if one is always involved when installing a new action.

Weight formulas are certainly useful but we are in a geometrical word
with some limits, and as we are unable to compute the action moves in
degrees actually (the usual piano technician is not anyway) having
tables of reference to use with the usual action part dimensions is
very certainly unavoideable (again, if one want to keep good
playeability).

The reasearch about the shape of the pilot against the shape of the
heel have been made yet, and the goal is always to have a capstn rise
of a certain dimension, while minimizing friction, or allowing a
little more at the end to favour more acceleration at the end of the
stroke. I still doubt thes aspects are covered by the balance weight
approach, as I doubt the balance weigh is to be even in every kind of
action.

I have now an interest in developping some tables for myself, these
are at first sight produced with relatively simple trigonometric
rules, as the initial data is limited (but again, with some standard
declination one can use as reference)

Using weights to compute ratio is also using a result of added
inconsistencies added together, so it is well understandeable that the
results may be a little off from the intention in some cases.
But having a 2 sides approach may say us if our geometry change lead
us to an acceptable or a wanted weight (while keeping action
standards, hence no more than 10mm and a smile of dip)

Best regards to all.

If some are involved in the same kind of table project I like to
exchange with them.

I forget, we have a last goal which is the alignment of the jack with
the roller core, this as well is limiting us, as the spread may not
vary so much. This seem to me like  the main reason why some actions
are slow, or spongy, the installing technician having no other
possibility than to cheat on the spread, getting out of the magic
line,  because something went bad before during selection of parts,
design or production.

Best to all my friends, I have no much time to read nor write in fact
those days.

I Hope to be back later.

Dont want to make political comments on that list, but the rest of the
world is relatively anxious about you, those days, seem to me.

Isaac OLEG