[CAUT] Moving capstans

Sat, 23 Oct 2004 12:09:15 +0100

Chris Solliday wrote:

>well actually the process is usually done the other way around. I realize I
>stuck my foot in my mouth (again) and oversimplified. Ric, Ed, and David
>have given you good advice. And at the risk of beating a subject that you
>have already laid to rest... the real answer to your original question is
>there isn't one but what i hope that you are aware of is that in this
>process we know what ratio is, we know what strike weight is, we can know
>the front weight, and we have an intended balance weight that we are trying
>to get and so we could find for KR but it is alot simpler to float the boat
>(capstan).

Ah... well.. lets see here... if specifiying BW is what you want to do..
then you actually can do that with the aid of Stanwoods formula.

Take your knowns... SW, WW, KR, and FW.  That leaves you with two
unknowns in the balance formula, R and  BW

BW + FW = (SW*R) + (KR*WW).

You want to specifiy BW... so that becomes a known... but causes you to
remember that you are  going to have alter KR in order to maintain the
existing overall R. Moving the capstan aslo changes the effective
Whippen Weight... so that becomes a variable to... which is ok since
these two are multiplied together in the formula anyways. So you need to
find out what the overall Ratio is to begin with, and then use (KR *
WW)as a variable to keep R the same for your specified BW. Measure R
standwoods way

Then you then have as knowns.  BW + FW = (SW * R) + x
where x is (KR * WW)

solve for x and you can measure your way to the proper position for the
capstan.  You need to make sure you do some real accurate measuring of
the Whippen weight to make this work.. but its doable.

You can actually do a very similiar type of thing with the knuckle, if
you stop to think things through... but as you say  if you take the
knuckle position as granted at 17 mm... then its the capstan you are
looking at anways.

Cheers
RicB

I agree about encouraging folks to pay David his dues. There is much you
can do on your own without infringing on his patents... actually most of
it when it comes down to it, But you learn a lot from David, and you
gain the ability to utilize his resources as a licensed installer, and
you are doing the right thing from an ethical point of view IMHO as well.

Cheers
RicB