[CAUT] Re: Moving Capstans

David C. Stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 11:03:05 -0400

Alan,

I can't access your .xls file either...
How about just giving us typed columns of numbers such as:

N   U   D    FW    SW    KR    WW

16  25  50  28.0  10.4  0.52  18.5
17  25  50  28.0  10.4  0.52  18.5
40  25  50  28.0  10.4  0.52  18.5
41  25  50  28.0  10.4  0.52  18.5
64  25  50  28.0  10.4  0.52  18.5
65  25  50  28.0  10.4  0.52  18.5

The above minimal sample notes give a good idea of what's going across the
keyboard.

To answer your question:  You can tell how far to move a capstan by looking
at the Balance Weight.  As a rule of thumb, for every decrease in BW by
1.0, the overall strike weight ratio will decrease by 0.1.  If you have a
ratio which is 6.0 and you want to achieve a 5.5 just plug in the numbers
and solve the equation for BW:

BW=(SWxR+WWxKR)-FW

The result is your new target BW for making your desired strike weight ratio.

In the above samples the ratio calculates to 6.0 with a 44 BW.
To make a 5.5 ratio the target BW is 39.

When working with an existing heel cushion and a 90 degree capstan I do not
recommend just moving the line but rather angling the capstan backwards and
bringing the capstan line forward so that the capstan contact point on the
heel shifts forwards.   For a small, medium, and large effect, try 4, 8, or
12 degrees.  http://www.stanwoodpiano.com/CapRoll2.jpg

Isaac says we are in a geometrical world.  It's not that simple.  Yes we
have to pay attention to geometry but weight also has to be dealt
with.  Both are important for the pianist.  In regards to weight, my
formulas offer the clearest solutions.

As for Geometry... follow the rules and make sure you can regulate it.  If
you are going for lower weight ratio (5.0 - 5.8) expect to use a minimal
blow distance of 44.5mm/1.75".  If you move a capstan line, test the result
before committing to the new line.  If the dip is too deep for a short blow
distance then don't do it!

As a recent example:  Last week Tim Coates, from Sioux Fall South Dakota,
was in my shop for PTD training and he brought a Steinway D action to work
on.  The strike weights were in the TopMedium range and he had tested the
tone by increasing strike weight with the addition of binder clips on the
shanks.  Listening to the tone in the concert hall told him that 1/2 High
SW zone (a normal concert hammer weight) would give best results...

The average SW Ratio level was 5.8 and we wanted to go for a 5.3.  We know
from experience that a 5.3 ratio works well for the 1/2 SW level.  We used
a capstan boat and found a position with an 8 degree angle that gave a 5.3
ratio.  We tested the dip with a 44.5mm/1.75" blow and it tested out at
11.0mm/.433".   This certainly would not do so we checked the
geometry.  The capstans were set very deep in the key and the capstan/heel
contact point was way off the magic line.  Everything else checked out
except the height of the wippen and and hammer center pins.   Apparently
the action cleats were planed to thin in the Steinway factory.  (Chris....
remember that Steinway D job we did were the tapered cleats had been put on
backwards?)

Tim shimmed up the brackets.  The front by 5.0mm/.20" and the back by
8.0mm/.32", so that the center pin elevations matched the factory
spec.  (Yes we checked for clearance under the pinblock.) Then we set the
capstan boat to make a 5.3 strike weight ratio and tested the dip with a
short blow.  Now it tested out to 10.2mm/.400" and we noted that the
capstan/heel contact point came into acceptable alignment.   Green Light!

I hope this helps.

David Stanwood