[CAUT] Re: Teaching Piano Tuning

James Ellis claviers@nxs.net
Sun, 31 Oct 2004 15:54:07 -0500

Wim,

I agree in part with what you say.  However, you imply that it's our fault
that more young people aren't studying piano service, and that's where I
disagree.  I think it's driven more by supply and demand.  I'm finding too
many who want a quick-fix.  They just don't want to do the study and
practice that it takes for what they believe they will earn in the end.

The trend is in favor of better and more expensive pianos, with electronic
keyboards replacing the low-end stuff.  Compared to the population, I think
the number of total pianos is down, but the average quality is up.  I grant
you, this doesn't seem to explain the slack-off of people going into piano
technology.  The trends seem to be out of phase, but I think some of that
is normal.

I see plenty of young people going into piano technology, but too few who
are serious about really learning it.  Too many just want to "get by", and
that bothers me.  When those cheap instruments are finally gone, and the
higher quality ones dominate the scene, the "get-by" attitude just won't
cut it, and then there will be a demand for first-quality service, but too
few providing it.  I'm running into that already.  I'm at the age where I'm
slacking off, spending more time doing R&D, but less time in actual
service.  Too many times I want to refer to someone else, but such a person
just isn't there.  Those who are, are either already loaded with work, or
else they are at the age where they are cutting back just like I am.

Lets see how the FSU program works.  I really hope it does work.  Anne,
please keep us informed.  I'm very interested to learn how this all plays out.

Sincerely,
Jim Ellis, RPT
Oak Ridge, Tennissee