[CAUT] [Files] wippen recovering photos (Modified by Kent Swafford)

Mark Cramer Cramer@BrandonU.ca
Tue, 07 Sep 2004 16:18:48 -0500

For comparison, the photos below show a 1963 Baldwin L action with heels
recovered. The original heels had no bolster.

We learned to recover heels from Bill Spurlock's article in his
"Practically
Speaking" series in the PTJournal a number of years back. (no, I'm not
looking it up again!  ;>)

Bill had suggested (as I recall) that common causes of action "return"
noise
included loose S/F centers, hard/worn knuckles, wippen heels,
key-bushings
and balance rail key-pin holes, and that this situation is rarely
solved to
satisfaction by merely addressing one or two these areas.

Having learned this the hard way, we've ever since made it our routine
address all of the above when reconditioning/rebuilding actions.

I know I've sermonized about this before, just want to emphasize hom
important and beneficial this work is to your final result.

And finally, this contribution from an up and coming colleague:

"Quality, is a consistant adherance to a worthy standard"

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University

Photos at:

http://tinyurl.com/3um3a