[CAUT] [Files] wippen recond. photos (Modified by KentSwafford)

Mark Cramer Cramer@BrandonU.ca
Fri, 10 Sep 2004 11:44:49 -0500

Thanks Fred, the ironing sure saves work later.

The capstans will still need some raising, and sometimes it's a timesaver to
adjust one with the stack on, count the turns, then remove the stack and
raise all the capstans in bulk fashion.

(Is this the place to confess I used to remove vertical keys, hold them by
the dowel and swing them (once, twice) around my head for bulk adjustment?
Really depends where the customer was at the time ;>)

Teflon? Yes, I'm leaning towards;

1.) Clean/polish/wet-lubes on hard surfaces "only"
(metal/wood, capstans, key-pins, bridge-tops, jack-tenders, etc.)

2.) Vacuum/iron/dry-teflon "only" for the cloth surfaces (includes key &
guide-rail bushings, lifter felts, etc.)

BTW, for trimming bolster cloth (encouraging to see how many are already
doing this), we also use the CA glue trick, thread it through "two" heels,
pull flush to the first, then you can apply finger pressure on both heels
(both sides of the cut) to keep the cloth taut for a nice neat cut.
(watch where you're cutting though!!)

This pattern works nicely for knuckles too, and if I may; there are many
shades of white/ivory yarn, making it possible to do "invisible" knuckle
bolstering, should your shanks have sat on the supplier's shelf a bit too
long. ;>)

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University