[CAUT] Agraffe noise

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Tue, 14 Sep 2004 11:33:36

Hi,

I've seen a former factory worker use a blunt screw driver to lift on the
tuning pin side of the agraffe. She *really* went at it lifting them well
over 1/8 inch up. It did improve string level and zings too. She played the
note with the damper pedal down when she was doing the lifting...quite a
pitch excursion resulted.

At 11:27 AM 14/09/2004 EDT, you wrote:
>   4 zinging agraffes. I needed it fixed and stable for a concert the next
>day, so I put a bridge pin on top of the counterbearing felt of each
>offending note (close to the agraffe), in order to increase the draft
>angle. Although I suspect these agraffes were from the hinky period
>(mis-drilled), this did the trick on three of the notes, and made the
>fourth one better enough that no one has mentioned it in the last 20 years.
>I'll fix it properly when I eventually restring the whole piano (the top
>two sections have been restrung once).   Bob Davis

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca		http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/

3004 Grant Rd.
REGINA, SK
S4S 5G7