[CAUT] Agraffe noise

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Tue, 14 Sep 2004 13:31:12 -0700

Wim,

At 11:48 AM 9/14/2004, you wrote:
>In a message dated 9/14/04 12:35:07 PM Central Daylight Time,
>pianotuna@accesscomm.ca writes:
>Hi,
>
>I've seen a former factory worker use a blunt screw driver to lift on the
>tuning pin side of the agraffe. She *really* went at it lifting them well
>over 1/8 inch up. It did improve string level and zings too. She played the
>note with the damper pedal down when she was doing the lifting...quite a
>pitch excursion resulted.
>
>OK, I just came back from the week long Steinway voicing seminar, and we
>instructed to lift the string on the speaking side to level. Is this
>method of lifting the string on the tuning pin side a better way to level
>strings, or just an alternative method? In either case, I do think a solid
>tuning afterwards is in order. :)

Two different issues being addressed:

  - The method Ed F. suggested is to deal with agraffe buzzes (as much as
is possible without more major repair).

  - The method you learned at the factory has solely to do with leveling
the strings (to establish a better, more consistent contact point for the
hammer).

Best.

Horace