[CAUT] Tightening Screws as part of regular maintenance

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 20:37:08 EDT

David writes:

<< It makes sense to me that if I keep the screws tight it will benefit the
piano by eliminating noise, improving tone and volume, keeping parts
aligned and keeping the piano from falling apart. >>

Agreed, with one additional thought.  If you tighten the plate bolts in the
middle of the winter, the next summer's humidity will swell the wood and the
following year, you will once again find that the bolts are somewhat loose!   If
the bolts are continually tightened during the winter months, they will
eventually strip the threads in the wood.
  I now only tighten bolts in the summer, unless it is a first time visit.
Even then, if it is in the dry season, I don't really tighten them down, too
much.  These snug ones are locked very firmly in the following summer.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT