[CAUT] Re: Brown Action

David C. Stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Fri, 05 Aug 2005 17:05:28 -0400

>I have a customer with an old Chickering grand.  The piano has a Brown
>action in fair to poor condition.  I would like to find someone who may
>have some parts for this action or someone who can make some parts.  I
>would also like any guidance on regulating a Brown action.   Any
>ideas?  Thanks.
>
>Regards,
>steve

Hi Steve,

If the instrument is worth it and you are not concerned with keeping things
"historic", you can also modernize the action by moving the balance rail
back to make a 2:1 key ratio and installing modern wippens and shanks.  If
the wippens and shanks are mounted at an angle to the rails (as was in this
instrument) you can make a cut on the inside of the wippen flanges to set
the wippen at the needed angle.   I've done this on a very old Chickering
Concert grand with great success.

David Stanwood