[CAUT] Steinway Agraffes

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Mon, 13 Jun 2005 13:46:45 -0700

Hi, Dave,

At 01:00 PM 6/13/2005, you wrote:

>Thanks Horace
>
>I did find a Dana Johnson in Huntington Beach and left a message. Will see
>what happens.

Cool.  Hope it works out.

>   Also might have replaced all the agraffes if Scott hadn't already
> strung  it with the exception of the bass.  I'm not too concerned about
> further breakage since they broke only when being turned out and were
> otherwise OK.  Next time I might change my mind.

Yup.

>  Still I would like to preserve the original string spacing if possible.

One of the advantages of finding a machinist to work with is that, with a
good one, you can get _exactly_ what you need.  I once rebuilt an ancient
Pleyel harp which had about half of the pedal mechanism missing...pedals,
control rods, linkages, tuning disks, etc...it was a nightmare.  Being able
to work from minimal drawings and samples to reconstruct (as nearly as
possible) what had been present made a huge difference.

>   Thanks for the input.

Most welcome!

Best.

Horace