[CAUT] Re: Impact Tuning

Terry Beckingham beckt@mts.net
Sat, 18 Jun 2005 15:29:51 -0500

I purchased the Cyber Impact Hammer from Dean Reyburn. At the moment, I
have mixed feelings about it. I have not used it a great deal. It seems to
work fairly well for me while doing a pitch correction on the wound
strings. In some cases, I have not had to retune the bass after the pitch
correction (PRCT would give at least a partial blush on each string). The
plain wire has been giving me some trouble, at least in the treble. I guess
my technique is not yet refined enough to make the small movements required.

When I first got the hammer, it had a 5 ounce weight. I found that the
force required to fling the weight over enough to get tight tuning pins to
move, also caused the weight to rebound with sufficient force that it would
cause the tuning pin to move in the opposite direction. I brought this to
Dean's attention and he sent me a heavier weight (7 oz) at no charge. This
has greatly improved my use of the hammer.

The hammer is well made and should last a long time. Dean uses a quality
tip on the hammer. I don't know where he obtains them but the  seem really
good.

I hope this helps.

Terry Beckingham RPT