[CAUT] Re: Impact Tuning

Leslie Bartlett l-bartlett@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 20 Jun 2005 20:32:39 -0500

Have enjoyed the banter on impacts. I bought the cheapie version, will knock
some of the weight off the top, add a sleeve of metal or copper, and then
wrap in golf or tennis racket tape and see what kind of fun I can have.  I
do realize it takes "x" amount of energy to move a pin, and one will have to
produce that energy somehow..........
les bartlett

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
Otto Keyes
Sent: Monday, June 20, 2005 4:54 PM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: Re: [CAUT] Re: Impact Tuning

Been using an impact hammer on verticals almost exclusively for about 20
years now & have no intention of going back to the conventional hammer.  The
times I have reverted to a conventional hammer for the odd vertical have
been few & far between -- generally a piano with extremely tight & jumpy
pins.  Right now, a judo injury to my wrist (at my age I should know
better!) has made tuning of any kind a bit of a problem, but especially
verticals with the impact/twisting motion.  I need to take some time off to
let it heal, I guess, but other than that, the impact hammer does just fine.

When I was working on the adjustable impact with Schaff, I worked on a grand
wrench as well, but was never able to find a design that overcame the
weight/leverage issue, especially if one sits while tuning.  It was just too
much stress on the shoulder to move from pin to pin.  I always use the
stubby extension hammer I developed for Schaff on grands anyway.

If you want padding on the handle which makes it easier on the hand, just
put a golf club grip on it, or use some padded bike handlebar tape ---easy
to install, & will save you a couple hundred bucks over the padded one
you're considering, Dave.  The padding does make it more comfortable to use.

Otto